There are medical professionals called psychiatrists who helps people to deal with mental health regarding issues. This field is growing at an exponential rate now due to unorganised lifestyle and problems faced by many people. According to the article by times of India, 43% of Indians are suffering from some kind of depression and many people are either unaware about it or they could not find, right doctor to help them deal with it.
If you wish to help out people dealing with this kind of mental health problems, you can become a psychiatrist in India after completing class 12th with science stream with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as the main subjects. After that pursue MBBS and later completing MD or Diploma in Psychiatric Medicines.
Who is a Psychiatrist ?
A Psychiatrist is a physician who specializes in psychiatric medicine. This is the branch of medical science which deals with diagnosis, prevention, study and treatment of different mental diseases.
Many a times, people get confused between a psychologist and a psychiatrist because both of them help people to deal with mental health problems but both of these professions are different and one of the key difference between a psychiatrist and psychologist is, a psychiatrist can prescribe medicines to their patients whereas a psychologist cannot, but can only provide therapy.
How to be a Psychiatrist?
Psychiatrist are one of the high paying career choice in India right now and the scope of this field is going to grow in future. The perks in this field are great and so are the hardships to become one. After completing class 12th there is almost 7-8 years of education before you can become a certified Psychiatrist.
So let’s find out, how you can become a Psychiatrist in India after completing your class 12th.
What are the courses for Psychiatrist ?
There are many courses available on Bachelors, Master and Doctoral level if you wish to pursue psychiatry.
Here is the list of courses available after class 12th for Psychiatry:
- Bachelor Courses to become a psychiatrist:
- Diploma Courses to become a psychiatrist:
- Master Courses to become a psychiatrist:
- Doctoral Courses to become a psychiatrist:
What is the eligibility to become a Psychiatrist?
- A student needs to complete class 12th withScience stream with Biology as one of the main subjects.
- A student then needs to complete an MBBS degree and then either enroll in a a MD course in Psychiatry or Diploma in Psychiatric Medicines.
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) is a three years course while Diploma in Psychiatric Medicines is a 2 years course.